Thursday, October 06, 2011

Remembering, Part II

We got home Saturday evening from visiting our friend Danielle at Liberty. After putting Gavrel to bed, I repacked my suitcase and computer bag. Sunday morning, while Jonny got ready for church, Gavrel and I got back in the car and headed to Ohio for Grandma Betty's funeral service.

We arrived just in time to go almost straight to the visitation on Sunday afternoon. (My son is a total angel. He practically lived in his car seat this weekend.) It was such a nice event - there were tons of people there. Grandma looked great, all laid out. I was so happy to see that they had painted her nails. When we went to see her in April, she couldn't come out of her room to see Gavrel until she had her second coat of nail polish on! They also had pictures of her at the fair from the previous Thursday. Grandma had gone to the Brown County Fair and won a clock for being the Oldest Lady in attendance - something she said she had always wanted to do. She spent the day at the fair and died later that night. You will never meet someone who lived out every moment of her life quite like Grandma Betty did!

The funeral service was on Monday morning in her little bitty home-town church. Grandma has had most of the details of this service planned out for a very long time. It was a sweet time of telling stories and remembering. You could just sense the joy that was her life and influence on her family and friends gathered there. There were a few tears, yes, but overall it was truly a celebration. One of her grandsons delivered the message, and he did an incredible job.

The rest of the grandsons and grandsons-in-law acted as pallbearers: 

A group of Model A Fords drove ahead of the funeral procession. 

She said that since Grandpa Ray (her husband) had Model T's at his funeral, she would be newer and go with Model A's. 

All four of her children, three daughters and a son, were together to honor her life. 

Grandma Betty and Grandpa Ray.

I was originally supposed to go to camp with the middle schoolers this past weekend, but that didn't work out. So we planned our trip to Virginia. Then the timing worked out perfectly that I could make it to Ohio for both the visitation and funeral. I was so bummed when I first found out that I couldn't make it to camp - but as I drove up I-75 on Sunday morning, I had peace about it all. Had I been scheduled to get on that bus, I would've been trying to find a way out when my dad called me. God had known all along that I wasn't supposed to be at camp.

It was a long weekend and a lot of travelling, but I was so glad I was able to go. This weekend was something I will cherish forever, and I will tell Gavrel about as he grows - that he was present to honor the life of his great-great grandma.


clearly a really special great grandma you got there Katie. your great grandpa Ray had a long life too! you put together a couple beautifully-written posts to honor her here.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More