Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Couple of Updates

If you don't know or haven't figured out, the beginning of my summer has been a tad bit insane. Obviously my China trip was a big part of that, but I also had a few other things going on:

First, Jon's car accident was an abrupt homecoming that complicated things significantly. However, it also served to seriously bolster our faith. Late the night of the accident, as we were going to bed, I realized that I could just as easily be spending the night in the hospital with him and snuggled safely in our own bed. There's no earthly reason he walked away untouched, but I'm so thankful that he did! Our life was almost immediately relieved of complication by a generous offer to borrow a friend's car for three weeks. But to top it all off - you may remember that we decided to take the first week after the accident to pray for a car - a close family friend offered to buy Jon a new car. Needless to say, we've been greatly encouraged more than anything by these events.

Next up, less than two weeks after returning from China, I set off on a one-night retreat called Incoming. It's designed specifically to welcome new incoming sixth graders and integrating them into the Mix. This year set a new record: 27 students and 5 adults in one cabin overnight. After four hours of sleep on the floor and a day in the sun, I was ready to come home and crash for a couple days - especially considering the tear-inducingly-painful bladder infection I woke up with the next morning.

No such luck. I left the very next afternoon for Operation Backyard - a week-long work camp where youth groups provide basic home-repair services for inner-city Knoxville homeowners. I, along with twelve middle-schoolers and two other adults, managed to completely scrape, prime, and repaint a house, and plant new pink flowers for our sweet homeowner, Miss Walker. It was a great opportunity, but I was quiet ready to come home at the end of the week (when I started having dreams about taking care of the students, even Jon Teague agreed it was time for me to go home and get some real sleep).

I was home for about a week and a half before Water Wars on Tuesday brought me my first experience in a dunk tank - I got wet. I'm teaching a four-day class on prophetic prayer geared specifically for middle school students next week. The next week I'll drive our Jamaica team to Atlanta, then drive back to get them a week later. And then (surreal), I only have a week and a half left at Two Rivers!

People keep asking me if I'm starting to wind down, but the reality is that I'm sprinting to the finish line!

Please pray that the right opportunity opens up for Jon in China - we really want that to be our next move, and we are waiting as patiently as possible. I would rather have something to head into than sprinting straight into a brick wall and have nowhere to go at the end of this month.

That's what's been up!


Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More